How did gaming industry develop in 2018?26 December 2018
2018 is a year of gaming industry development heralded by lots of new game releases as well as an increase in market volume.
The news portal GamesIndustry.biz published statistics for the gambling market in 2018. Read the information below to get to know the burning news in this sphere within this year.
Market volume and sales
Global gaming market volume in 2018 is estimated at $134.9 bn, which surpasses the results of the previous year by 10.9%.
Distribution of the main gaming market segments:
- mobile — $63.2 bn;
- smartphone games — $50 bn;
- console — $38.3 bn.
Revenue from game sales has considerably grown compared to 2017. The difference is given in brackets.
- PC digital revenue — $28.2 bn (+7%);
- console digital revenue — $23 bn (+22%);
- boxed revenues for PC and console — $16.3 bn (+5%).
Top popular games
Most covered games:
- PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds;
- Red Dead Redemption 2;
- God of War.
Top popular games on Twitter:
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4;
- Super Smash Bros Ultimate;
- Red Dead Redemption II;
- Fallout 76;
- Dragon Ball FighterZ;
- Grand Theft Auto V;
- God of War;
- Battlefield V;
- Splatoon 2.
The streaming platform Twitch shows positive results in this year:
- a record number of concurrent viewers during E3 — 2.9 m;
- 434 bn minutes watched;
- 500 000 streamers going live every day;
- 1 m people are watching Twitch at any given moment;
- 667 000 concurrent viewers for a single streamer.
The largest companies presented lots of new projects and registered an intellectual property right (IP).
- Sony: 19 NR, 10 NIP;
- Nintendo: 16 NR, 2 NIP;
- Electronic Arts: 12 NR, 2 NIP;
- Ubisoft: 6 NR, 2 NIP;
- Microsoft: 5 NR, 2 NIP;
- Activision Blizzard: 3 NR, 0 NIP.
Apart from the positive dynamics of the gaming market, the experts show a profound interest in the industry: 149 756 representatives of the sphere attended such events as GDC, E3, Tokyo Game Show, and gamescom.
Total prize money awarded for all eSports tournaments in 2018 is valued at $140.3 m.
The average salary for games professionals is about $50 542.